Introduction to Modelling 101: Start to Fail (2) - My Story

Thank you so much for all your support to my first post!
The views it got in just one day are more than the views of my precious blog posts all add up together!
Seriously.
I am here right now in this position to tell you what I've been through and I'm still fighting for what I want. And I'm thankful for being a part of AsNTM2 because now my message can reach to many more people than I could ever imagine. Inspiring people is one of the things I like about being a "public figure".
Reading from the stats provided by Blogger, my last post was read in Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, the UK, Indonesia, Vietnam, Germany, Taiwan, Australia and obviously Hong Kong.
A big thank you to all of you!

Before I move on to the next point of sine-qua-non of modelling, I'd like to add more to the topic I talked about in the last post,
Introduction to Modelling 101: Start to Fail
http://elektrayu.blogspot.hk/2014/01/introduction-to-modelling-101-start-to.html 

Failure.
     |
My story.

Being a Asia's Next Top Model myself, I was rejected over and over again in Hong Kong.
Over and Over again.
My fellow HongKies don't think much of me.
So that's what happened to me roughly:

Scenario 1: Agencies
Sent my portfolio via email to some major agencies in HK, and looked at their models' pictures and thought they were rather mediocre so I had a chance in signing with them. It turned out, no reply.

Scenario 2: Still agencies
Sent my portfolio via email to some not as major agencies in HK, and looked at their models' pictures and thought they were rather mediocre so I had a chance in signing with them. They invited me to go to their office for a general casting. Took me snapshots and took my measurements. Maybe signed a freelance agreement too. And they didn't call me ever again.

Scenario 3: Photographers
I know I can't be spotted out and get bookings, or submit myself to agencies without a strong portfolio so I always look to shoot with photographers on TFP (i.e. Time for Prints/Photos) basis. I contacted photographers on both ModelMayhem and Facebook. Out of 30 maybe 3 replied me and wanted to shoot with me. The rest gave me either no replies and one said that he charges unless it's a nude shoot.

Scenario 4: Other things happened before AsNTM2
(No hate) These girls were chosen over me.
  • I applied to my university's photo club to be a FREE model for their annual photo day for THREE consecutive years, including 2013 even if I have graduated. I even went to their counter to bother the president of the club for more than 3 times to take me. I wasn't taken. However, I have this dear love to my university so if they'd like to invite me to be a guest to any of their events, I'll be very happy to do so.
  • I applied for Miss Hong Kong the beauty pageant last year (Can you every imagine me doing beauty pageant?). Out of 3000 applications they managed to pick 400 girls for a second interview, I wasn't included.
  • I applied for FaceUStar the inter-university version of "beauty pageant", is it even one? I wasn't taken.
  • I applied for a shopping mall modelling competition that co-organised by a major model agency in Hong Kong, I was called for a first casting, and I wasn't taken.
  • Another shopping mall modelling competition. Simply not taken.
  • Numerous no reply from job casting/small agencies
Anything missing? Remind me if I missed out anything.
I'd like to complete the list.

by Everest Rodriguez from the Philippines
The Lesson
So I figured out, it's not that I'm no good. Sometimes people are just too snobby to look at you think that they're too good for you.
Or the market you're in simply doesn't do you any favours.
And from then on, I'm not bothered to chase down any agencies and photographers for collaborations.
I'm tired of it. It seems like in HK something is wrong with the market or it's just me.
They overly prefer Caucasian/Eurasian or local girls with out-of-space kawaii/pretty style (In Singapore/Malaysia the so-called Xiao Mei Mei equivalent to Leng-mo in HK) that isn't quite in line with the universal perception of fashion and beauty. (please forgive my candid talk)
A style that is highly preferred in HK. Source: http://www.neonpunch.com/
If someone wants me, brilliant, thank you, I'll do my best and you'll definitely want to book me again. If you don't want me, fine, it's your loss and you definitely regret when I get big.
If you don't want me because I'm don't have/I'm not a shortie, sweet face, pale skin, nice chest, Caucasian, dyed light brown long hair, skin and bone, fetish, blahblahblah, go and get someone else. I will NOT change a thing for you.
Love me or hate me. (I'll talk about it in the next post.)

So the moment I received the confirmation email from Asia's Next Top Model with the tickets to Malaysia, I literally dropped, fell on my knees and rolled on the floor, crying.
I cried my soul out.
I wailed.
It was so surreal. (NOT CEREAL)
I felt like I was worthless and suddenly I felt like a million dollar.
And I told myself I have to remember that day for the rest of my life.

Then,
some photographers and I have been Facebook "friends" for quite a while and never exchanged conversations. And after I've put on the news of me being on AsNTM2, for some bizarre reasons, they wanted to shoot with me, out of the blue. I wondered why.

Fix You by Coldplay, the song that I sang on AsNTM2 episode one.
The song that I always turn to when I feel like giving up.
"When you try your best but you don't succeed......
......Lights will guide you home.
And ignite your bones......"

Keep your chin up. The whole world is just a runway under your feet. Photo by Thomas Sandfield
This day is going to come to you if you keep on trying, like what's happened to me.
I knocked on so many doors to a point that I wanted to quit.
But like one of my supporters said, when doors are close, knock on them.
They still don't open?
Knock them DOWN.


Knock on VS Knock down

One last quote for you -

“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated. ” 
Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Stay tuned for the next topic, Introduction to Modelling 101: The X Factor.
Take care.

(Further Reading:
My interview with HK Magazine It's Blue Steel Time by Jayson Albano my uni-mate.
http://hk-magazine.com/city-living/article/elektra-yu )

Comments

  1. Hi Elektra,
    I like how active you are in social media and Asia's Next Top Model pages. It's too bad you didn't give a very good impression when you were eliminated. You were portrayed as one of the least favorite girls in episode 1, but I hope you got the good exposure of being AsNTM 2 contestants and get signed ASAP. Don't give up, everyone has their own market :)

    I like your joke about Natalie's cereal LOL and when you wrote down Fix You's lyric, I immediately recalled how funny you were when you sang it.

    By the way, I have been doing a Top Model recap since AsNTM cycle 1, maybe you can take a look here : www.msquarebycharles.blogspot. Actually, you are not one of my early favorites and you might find a not so good comment about you, but I'm trying to be objective as possible. Oh, and you can give me input to make it better :)

    Hope to see your (and other girls') post works after AsNTM 2 :) I think you can also upload it yours here to make your fans happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment